History of Beaverton Transportation

Developing a system of roads became a priority in 1849, and by 1850 the Portland-Tualatin Valley Plank Road Company was chartered by the Territorial Legislature to build the Pacific Coast’s first plank roads. Plans called for the road to start in Portland and go out to Hillsboro along the wagon-beaten dirt trail called Canyon Road. Building came to a standstill when the company went bankrupt. Then in 1855 efforts were renewed. Public subscriptions were sold to raise money and a toll was charged for passage: from $1 to $5 for a wagon and team, with additional fees per head for loose livestock. By 1860, Canyon Road to Beaverton was complete, boosting the economic success of Beaverton farmers and merchants.

The appearance of the railroad in 1868 was a catalyst for the incorporation, or legal formation of the village of Beaverton, although it didn’t officially happen until 1893. The officers of the corporation were the mayor, four councilmen, a recorder, a treasurer and a marshal.